Saturday, March 13, 2010


I decided to do some fun mindless things on this project, like cutting off the buttons,

...and ripping out the side seams...

Then I shaped up the armholes, using the pattern pieces from that vintage patern. As you can see, the original armholes are so huge that I couldn't really cut the curve of the new ones. I fudged on the angle so I could get at least part of the curve. I thought maybe I could fiddle with the seam allowances and make it work.

I pinned in one of the sleeves and tried it on. As you can see, the fudging I did took up all the fullness of the bodice. I didn't foresee that the different sleeve shapes would be such a problem. I could have added gussets or pieced the fabric to get the right amount for the new sleeve, but that started feeling like drudgery. I have officially scrapped this project. The light blue will make perfect doll aprons for Kirsten someday!

Lesson learned: You can't really adapt a man's sleeve to a woman's because, even though there is more fabric in the shirt, it has been cut AWAY more in the armhole.

Let's all cry together. Wah!

1 comment:

  1. Insert tears here. On the bright side, you learned a great lesson; and, of course, doll aprons are a necessity, so the material will go to good use!! :)